As the digital landscape continues to evolve, the concept of the human firewall becomes increasingly important. More than ever, employees play a crucial role in an organisation’s cybersecurity defences. Looking to the future, it’s clear that the human firewall will need to adapt and innovate to stay effective against evolving threats. In this blog, we’ll explore the predictions for the human firewall, how the concept might evolve, innovative approaches, and how to prepare for what’s next.
Predictions for the Human Firewall
The nature of cyber threats is continually changing, and so too are the methods to combat them. Here are some predictions for the future of the human firewall:
- Increased Training Investment: Organisations are likely to invest more resources into cybersecurity awareness training, recognising the crucial role employees play in defence.
- Integration of AI and Machine Learning: Training programs may start to incorporate artificial intelligence and machine learning to customise and enhance training effectiveness.
- Heightened Focus on Mobile Security: As remote working becomes increasingly prevalent, organisations may focus on training employees on mobile device security.
Evolving the Human Firewall Concept
The human firewall concept will likely evolve to counteract emerging cyber threats. It could expand to consider more aspects of human interaction with technology, including secure remote work, safe use of social media, and recognising threats in novel technologies like augmented and virtual reality.
Innovative Human Firewall Approaches
Innovation is the key to staying ahead of cyber threats. Some innovative approaches that might become common include:
- Gamification: Incorporating game elements into training can increase engagement and information retention.
- Continuous Microlearning: Rather than overwhelming employees with extensive sessions, breaking down training into small, manageable chunks can improve understanding and application of concepts.
- Real-Time Feedback: Immediate feedback on employee actions can provide valuable, timely learning opportunities and prevent potential security incidents.
Preparing for the Future of the Human Firewall
Preparing for the future of the human firewall involves a commitment to continuous learning and adaptation. Here’s how you can prepare:
- Stay Informed: Keep up with cybersecurity news and trends to understand emerging threats and effective countermeasures.
- Evaluate Effectiveness: Regularly assess your current human firewall strategy to identify gaps and areas for improvement.
- Invest in People: Always remember that your employees are your first line of defence. Prioritise their training and development to enhance your cybersecurity posture.
The future of the human firewall is a dynamic journey that encompasses enhanced training, evolution of concepts, innovative approaches and a commitment to adapt to an ever-changing digital landscape. Navigating this path doesn’t have to be a daunting process. With the right partner and resources, HR Managers can effectively lead their organisations towards a more secure future.
Lumen, in partnership with KnowBe4, offers a Managed Security Awareness service designed to help your organisation stay ahead of the curve. We equip your teams with the necessary knowledge and skills, through regular training and innovative approaches such as gamification and real-time feedback. Our service is focused on preparing your human firewall for the emerging challenges in cybersecurity.
Don’t wait for the future of cybersecurity to arrive—start preparing today. Learn more about our offerings and how they can help your organisation minimise human error in cyber threats. Visit Lumen’s Managed Security Awareness Service and begin your journey towards an enhanced cybersecurity posture.